Friday, January 28, 2011

I love my city!

For the last (almost) 4 years, I have lived outside of DC in the gorgeous city of Alexandria. I love living here. It's an eclectic mix of the modern and historical. I love spending my summer nights walking around Old Town, on the same streets George Washington used to frequent, long before DC was our capital. In fact, Alexandria thrived while DC was still a huge swamp called Federal City. It's a great place for me, being the Colonial history nut that I am. It also has Beautiful architecture and interesting charm.

I also have a very nice camera. So I tend to take a lot of pictures. So the following are from some of my walks.


Wilson Bridge from the Ferry to National Harbor. A graceful piece of modern bridge building and a truly interesting project ( I am extremely glad I was not the Project Manager considering the many problems during Construction :) )

Old Town from the boat. ( I'm on a boat! with my flippy floppies)


Market Square, The site of the longest running and one of the oldest farmers markets in the country. The building is City Hall.



Mt Vernon- Washington's place. I love it here.


The walkway into the Old Presbyterian Cemetary...pretty scary stuff at night with only a lantern and a bunch of freaked out kids behind you.


The Old Presbyterian Meeting House where George Washington's memorial was held. Also home to the most gorgeous pipe organ.

The waterfront. A perfect place to read a book or enjoy your Starbucks and people watch.

Most of Old Town does not have street lamps, but instead they use these lanterns.


World War II Memorial. Ok it's in DC but I absolutely love this memorial. Lincoln memorial is way in the back there.

Duke Street Townhomes.



Il Porto- Great Italian and haunted to boot.


No comments:

Post a Comment